Saturday, July 29, 2006

 

BE PATIENT

The next attitude in the Dance Your Life series is PATIENCE. This one has been a challenge for me. I have had to work hard to strengthen my PATIENCE so it would override my automatic response of impatience. Do you have an automatic impatient response? I do. I can get impatient, short tempered and easily aggravated when things take longer than I expect them to.

The following two things have helped me enormously in my becoming more PATIENT.

I had a teacher who would repeatedly say, “Life moves in cycles and has its own flow. You can’t hurry it. It takes as long as it takes.” When I find myself standing in a bank line or grocery line that is not moving, and I feel impatience begin to rise inside me, I stop and remind myself, “That’s not going to make the line move any faster. It takes as long as it takes.” I take a deep breath and, in that moment, I practice PATIENCE.

My husband is a great example of PATIENCE. I watched him cut down a tree in our backyard branch by single branch. He used a tree pruner; that’s a saw blade on the end of a long pole. Reaching his arms high over his head holding the pole, he would PATIENTLY move the saw blade back and forth over the tree branch. When the blade cut all the way through the branch, it would fall to the ground. My husband would then move to the next branch and begin again, day after day until every branch was off the tree. What PATIENCE!

I was inspired by his dedication to the project. Staying with it. Never quitting. Never giving up. He demonstrated infinite PATIENCE to that one task and to many other tasks that came before and after that one, including PATIENCE with me when I am out-of-balance.

To watch PATIENCE in action is an awesome sight. To overcome impatience with PATIENCE is incredibly rewarding, but you have to do the work and be dedicated to the win. If you follow my blog, I will reveal to you all the attitudes necessary to practice and master so you too can say, “Life is good. All is well. I am happy.”

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?